Spruill Gallery and Dunwoody Fine Art Association (DFAA) Present
The 2016 Southeastern Regional Art Exhibition - SIGHTS & INSIGHTS
A juried art exhibit to give regional artists the opportunity of displaying their artwork in a prestigious Atlanta gallery.
$3000 in Awards
January 28th to April 9th, 2016
4681 Ashford Dunwoody Road
Dunwoody, Georgia 30338
Gallery hours: 11 to 6, Tuesday through Saturday
Juror – Alan K. Avery
About the Juror - Alan K. Avery has graciously agreed to be the juror for the Sights and Insights Exhibit. He is imminently qualified with a formal education at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Parsons School of Design and Georgia State University. He is the owner and president of one of Atlanta’s oldest art galleries and shares his knowledge in the field of art with many public and private art groups and associations. His experience includes curating more than eighteen major exhibits and being published more than twenty times in the past fifteen years in both Southern and National journals. In addition, he has been the juror, guest curator and lecturer for multiple national and regional art exhibitions.
About Spruill Gallery -- Located in a late 19th century farm house, the Spruill Gallery provides creative and innovative exhibitions that are designed to educate and elevate the awareness and appreciation of the arts. While concentrating on professional artist exhibition series, Spruill Gallery also houses a gift shop which showcases local artisan craft. Spruill Gallery is a part of The Spruill Center for the Arts, a private, non-profit organization offering an extensive and diverse program of classes for all ages and skill levels. More information about the Spruill Center for the Arts and Spruill Gallery can be found by visiting www.spruillarts.org.
About DFAA -- The Dunwoody Fine Art Association, Inc. (DFAA) is one of the oldest artists groups in the Atlanta area. It was formed in 1971 by a group of Dunwoody artists and became incorporated in 1983. It was granted not-for-profit status in 1987. DFAA exists for educational, civic and charitable purposes connected with fine art. It provides for the artistic advancement of members, the stimulation of interest in fine art in the community and supports art education in Dunwoody. DFAA has rotating exhibits at various locations throughout the Dunwoody area, conducts the annual Dunwoody Fine Art Month, holds meetings and workshops in the Spruill Arts Center and conducts other shows and activities throughout the year.
Binding Agreement – By entering, the artist states that he/she has read and accepts the Exhibit Requirements (which follow) for the Sights and Insights Show. Further, he/she understands and agrees to enter into a binding agreement in accord with the same requirements with Spruill Gallery and Dunwoody Fine Art Association for the event.
If your work is accepted for the Sights and Insights Show, you agree to allow an image(s) of your piece(s) to be used for publicity purposes including but not limited to reproduction in relevant publications, website, Facebook pages, or other media deemed appropriate by Spruill Gallery or Dunwoody Fine Art Association.
IMPORTANT DATES (see Exhibit Requirements for details)
September 7, 2015 – Entries for show will be available.
November 9, 2015 – Entry Deadline
December 10, 2015 - Notifications of artists and the work accepted will be posted.
January 13th to 15th, 2016 - Shipped art pieces must be received at the Spruill Gallery.
January 16, 2016 - Accepted work which is hand delivered by artist must be received at the Spruill Gallery.
January 28, 2016 - Reception and Awards Ceremony at the Spruill Gallery from 6 pm to 9 pm.
January 28th to April 9th, 2016 - Exhibition open to the public Tuesday through Saturday, 11 am to 6 pm.
April 9, 2016 – Show concludes
April 11th and 12th, 2016 - Hand delivered works to be picked up at the Spruill Gallery, 11 am to 6 pm.
April 11th and 12th, 2016 - Shipped work returned to shipping company
Eligibility – Entry is open to all artists aged 18 years and over who are residents of AL, FL, GA, NC, SC or TN
Accepted Media -- Fine art media may be 2-D or 3-D and is defined to include for this exhibition: painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, mixed media and collage subject to the following criteria.
1. All work must be original and by the submitting artist.
2. 2-D pieces must be able to be hung on a wall with the work extending no more than 4” from wall.
3. Photography pieces may be modified by digital processes or in the ‘dark room’ provided that the original photograph and all modifications were completed by the artist. For all other mediums, computer generated modifications or digital manipulation, in whole or part, will not be allowed.
4. Art work requiring installation or placement by the artist will not be allowed.
5. The Spruill Gallery and DFAA may refuse any artwork which is deemed inappropriate, offensive or improperly presented.
Entry Submission – Each artist is required to complete the entry process, make payment of Entry Fee and provide jpg images of art pieces being entered into the exhibit by November 9, 2015.
Entry Fees – The Entry Fee for the 2016 Sights and Insight Exhibit is a flat fee. By payment of the fee, the artist may submit up to three works for entry:
1. For DFAA members, the entry fee is $30
2. For non-members, the entry fee is $40
3. The entry fee is non-refundable.
4. Payment of the entry fee will be made through the ArtCall website through Stripe payment processing service.
Criteria for JPG Images -- All entries will be juried for acceptance from the jpg images submitted. The jpg images must have the following criteria:
1. The largest dimension of the image (whether width or height) must be greater than 960 pixels (the minimum) but not greater than 4600 pixels (the maximum). The smallest dimension of the image must be proportional so that the image accurately reflects the actual art piece.
2. The maximum file size for each jpg is 4 mb.
3. The orientation of the jpeg (portrait or landscape) must reflect the actual piece of art work.
4. When saving jpg images please set quality to maximum.
5. Submit one image for each 2-D piece or 3-D piece.
6. Images of 2-D pieces should show only the art work without any frame, mat, etc. being included in the image.
7. If necessary for clarity, DFAA may request additional jpg images of 3-D pieces.
8. Titles of art pieces being submitted: the title of the work must be furnished for the jpg of each piece being uploaded.
Accepted Work – For all pieces accepted, the following requirements will apply:
1. 2-D artwork must meet the following criteria
a. Maximum finished size (including frame if applicable) may not exceed 36”x36”.
b. Work must be ready for hanging by wire with wire in place. No saw-tooth hangers, eye-hooks or other hanging methods will be permitted
c. Framed pieces must have a relatively simple frame with little or no adornment. Frame should be black, white, natural wood, metallic silver or metallic gold. Frame to be a maximum of 3” in width
d. Pieces requiring protection (watercolors, pastels, etc.) must use plexi-glass. Glass is not permitted regardless of whether piece is shipped or hand delivered.
e. Mats (if applicable) must be white or off-white, no exceptions.
f. Gallery wraps are acceptable provided that they are 1 1/4 “ or greater in thickness
g. Total weight (including frame, mat, plexi-glass, etc if applicable) must not exceed 25 pounds in weight
2. 3-D artwork must meet the following criteria
d. Maximum finished size for 3-D work is 18” in width and depth and 24” in height.
e. Total weight of piece must not exceed 25 pounds in weight.
f. Piece must be self-standing.
g. Piece must be able to be handled by Gallery staff members – work which requires pieces to be installed or placed by artist will not be allowed.
Accepted Work Notification -. Accepted artwork and artists will be posted on the DFAA website on December 10, 2015 and the acceptance will be confirmed by email to the artists. Should the artist require a written notification of work being accepted or not, the request and a stamped self-addressed envelope must be provided to Dunwoody Fine Art Association at the time of entry.
Awards – The following cash awards will be presented to the winning artists at the Exhibit Reception on January 28, 2016 at the Spruill Gallery:
1. First Place - $1,200
2. Second Place - $600
3. Third Place - $400
4. Honorable Mention – four honorable mention awards at $200 each
REQUIREMENTS FOR EXHIBITED WORK -
1. Artists are obligated to provide their work for the duration of the show. Accepted work that is not delivered or is withdrawn by the artist will prevent that artist from being eligible for future DFAA juried exhibitions. Further, exhibited pieces that are withdrawn will require the artist to pay 40% of the listed price to the Spruill Gallery.
2. The juror and the sponsoring organizations have final authority on works selected for the exhibition.
3. All accepted work must have a legible identification tag affixed on the back for 2-D work and on the bottom for 3-D work. Label tags for the artist’s use are provided below.
Shipment and Delivery of Accepted Work to the Gallery –
1. Accepted work may be hand delivered or shipped to the gallery.
2. All hand delivered work must be brought to the Spruill Gallery at 4681 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Dunwoody, GA, 30338 on January 16, 2016 between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm
3. All shipped work must:
a. Be shipped by either UPS or FedEx
b. Pieces must be boxed and protected by padding and/or bubble wrap that can be stored and reused when artwork is returned to artist.
c. No loose packing material (styrofoam ‘’peanuts’, organic material, etc.) may be used. Any piece received with loose packing material will be immediately returned to the artist and the work will be disqualified from the exhibit.
d. All shipped pieces must include documentation showing return shipping to artist has been prepaid. If a piece is received without prepaid shipping information, the artist will be notified that the work is disqualified from the show. Further, the artist will be given one week to forward prepaid shipping documentation to Dunwoody Fine Art Assoc. and the Spruill Gallery. In the event that the documentation is not received, the work will become the property of Dunwoody Fine Art Association.
e. Should the piece be damaged during shipping, the artist will be notified as to the extent of the damage and will have the following options:
i. Should the damage be quickly repairable and if the artist agrees to pay for the repair, the work will be taken to a local professional for the work required.
ii. Should the damage not be quickly repairable, the work will be returned to the artist using the pre-paid shipping documentation previously sent.
iii. It will be the artist’s responsibility to recover any fees for damage from the shipping company.
f. Shipped pieces must be sent to the Spruill Gallery, 4681 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Dunwoody, GA 30338
g. Shipped work must be received at the Spruill Gallery from January 13th to 15th, 2016. Pieces received after this date will be disqualified.
Insurance - Unless the Lender expressly elects to maintain his/her own insurance, Spruill Gallery will insure the Work for the duration of the loan period for 60% of the retail price (in U.S. dollars) listed by the Lender herein. Insurance value is determined by actual sales price of the Work or by sales price of artist’s comparable work. In the event of loss, the owner or artist must be able to demonstrate, with sales receipts, the value of the Work. This includes insurance against all risks of physical loss or damage from any external cause while on location at Spruill Gallery for the duration of the loan, provided, however, that if the work shall be industrially fabricated and can be replaced to the artist’s specifications, the amount of insurance shall be limited to the cost of such replacement. If no amount is so specified, Spruill Gallery will insure the work at its own estimated value provided that the value shall not, for any other purpose than insurance be construed to be an appraisal of the Work.
Spruill Gallery’s insurance policy contains the usual exclusions for loss or damage due to wear and tear, gradual deterioration, inherent vice, war, invasion, hostilities, rebellion, insurrection, confiscation by order of any government or public authority, risks of contraband or illegal transportation and/or for damage sustained due and resulting from any repairing, restoration, or retouching process unless caused by fire and/or explosion. Lender acknowledges such exclusions and agrees to bear the risks of such exclusions.
Sales and Commissions – It is the artist’s responsibility to value each piece and all pieces exhibited will be offered for sale at the retail price shown on the entry form with the exception of any pieces specifically shown as NFS (not for sale) on the entry form. Neither Spruill Gallery nor Dunwoody Fine Art Association can or will guarantee art sales. A reasonable effort will be made to promote sales
All artwork sold at the exhibition will have a 40% sales commission. Prevailing state and local sales taxes will be applicable at the time of sale. Payment for work sold will be sent to the artist within 30 days of the ending of the exhibition.
Return of Exhibited Work to Artist –
1. Unsold shipped art will be returned to the artist by the same shipping company used to send the piece to the exhibit provided that the artist furnished and included prepaid shipping documents and instructions.
2. Unsold art which is hand delivered will require the artist to pick up the work at the Spruill Gallery between 11 am to 5 pm on Monday, April 11, 2016 and Tuesday, April 12, 2016.
3. Work to be picked up by a designated person other than the artist must have identification and a consent letter signed by the artist.
4. Unsold art which is delivered by UPS or FedEx will be returned to the shipping company on Monday, April 11, 2016 or Tuesday, April 12, 2016 for return to the artists.
5. Other than pieces which have been prepaid for return to artist, pieces which have not been claimed and picked up by 6 pm on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 will become the property of DFAA and will be sold or discarded by the organization.
Sights and Insights - Artwork Labels
If your work is accepted to the Sights and Insights Show, please attach the following label to the back of 2D work and/or to the bottom of 3D work prior to shipment or delivery. Please note that the label must match the information on the Entry Form.
Size (including frame if 2D)
Price / Insurance Value (If NFS)
Size (including frame if 2D)
Price / Insurance Value (If NFS)
Size (including frame if 2D)
Price / Insurance Value (If NFS)